“A Beard is a gift you give to your face”
You should never really look for inspiration to grow a beard…just grow them! However, if you still need convincing…go on…read on.
Movember may be over but i hope you have enough inspiration to either grow a beard or maintain the one getting you the looks. Come on…own it…you definitely want it once in your lifetime! There will be no better time to take the plunge and tick the desire to own a ‘beard look’ off your bucket list. For all you know the stubble may become your best bud for the rest of your life!
So, if you are a man who believes in getting things right the first time here are few pointers to set you off to a solid beard foundation.
Things to keep in mind for beginners:
Timeline: 6-8 weeks (Minimum)
Growth: Varies. Depending on genetics. 99% men will start seeing positive signs in 1-2 weeks.
Styles: Choose wisely as per your facial hair growth and face cut.
Inspiration: If you still unsure read this- What women want- Beards or No Beards…!
Step by Step Healthy Beard Guide:
Initial Phase- Getting ‘Beard’ ready!
- Initially when you plan to go this highway, try and understand the growth pattern of your facial hair. For some, hair on the chin will be heavier/denser than that on the cheeks or in some areas the growth may be thinner. Shave till you experience evenness all across so that it results in an even, non-patchy, rich fashion statement for your face.
- Once you start getting signs that the hair on the tip of your chin, upper lip, under the neck and sideburns are showing unison you know you are ready to grow your style quotient.
- At first, you will need immense patience as it may get a little itchy(itchiness will subside in a week) and you may not look all suave and sartorial from day 1. Be patient!
- Realistically, it will take about a month to reach a sweet spot.
Planning Phase- Begin with the end in mind!
- Be focused from the very beginning on the ultimate look that you wish to carry. An earnest effort will result in quicker results!
- If you are not sure which style of ‘mo’ or beard will suit your face begin with simple to grow | easy to maintain styles. Below are few classic moustache and facial hair styles that you may want to experiment with.
For More modern styles check this image…
Growth Phase- Patience is the key!
- The natural moisture of skin underneath the facial hair now being shared to provide nourishment to the growing hair on your face demands little extra care so that the skin is well hydrated and less itchy.
- To take care of this drink plenty of water, have the required dose of fruits/vitamins and if you plan to grow the beard too long invest in good beard wax as the ends will be starving for shine and moisture.
- If you are being impatient a good idea will be to increase your testosterones (by following a regular exercising routine including cardio and intense training and eating healthy protein rich food including lean meats, eggs, beans, milk etc.). It will help you grow the beard faster by triggering your T-levels.
- Maintaining good facial hygiene by washing your face with a mild moisturising face wash twice a day is a healthy practise to keep allergies at bay.
- Incase your skin develops dead cells frequently you may use a mild exofoliating scrub before the face-wash.
- How much to Grow: A full beard must not end at the chin. An ideal extension is an inch above the Adam’s apple.
Maintenance phase: You are there!
Most men with facial hair confirm its much easier to maintain a beard than to shave everyday…also the beard gets them so many compliments that its worth putting all the effort it requires!
- Hygiene: First and foremost maintain good hygiene, shampoo your facial hair as frequently as you shampoo your head (mild hair product works fine for your beard too and 2-3 times a week is a good frequency). Once your hair are dry apply a light hand of beard oil ( for a smooth hand) and you are set with a lush, healthy looking beard.
- Trimming the beard: What make-up is to a woman’s face…a ‘neat’ | ‘in-shape’ beard is to yours… as it defines the contours of your face and highlights the cuts. Though it is the last step in the process but holds maximum score and will entitle you to extra incentive;-). During this phase a trim every 7 to 10 days to shape and set your baby in style will be ideal. Do it yourself or if you are not too confident visit your local stylist / barber whom you trust.
- Trimming rules:
- Unruly, untidy look is out so maintain tidiness
- The hair should be trimmed lighter on the cheeks and left a little longer under the lip (goatee area).
- Here is a video which will help you self trim your facial hair…
Now that you know where to begin and how to maintain take that inner barbarian out and go full-on beard-ful!
If you are already keeping up with the Movember tradition please do share your beard-ful looks with us as we will be soon be doing a feature on beard-ful men amongst you.
2 thoughts on “Grow a Healthy Beard: Step by Step Guide for Men”
Quite an impressive post. I keep my face covered… haven’t seen myself clean shaved after dec2013
Thanks Rajat! That’s great…beards are the new 6 pack;-)
…and with Movember approaching here is more amo for you- http://www.imforstyle.com/10-things-women-feel-about-beards-that-every-man-should-know/